How to Stop Videos from Automatically Playing On Instagram
Instagram’s video autoplay is one of those essential things that isn’t going away. You’ll see vivid photographs of different people as you go through your Instagram feed, but then a video in the feed will start playing by itself. One of the reasons for Instagram’s excessive data consumption is the auto-playing of videos. Instagram provided a feature to turn off its video autoplay settings at launch, but you probably won’t able to do so now. Is that true, though? Is it true that we can’t turn off Instagram’s video autoplay? No way, no how!
If you’re annoyed with videos playing automatically on Instagram, there are a few options. You may wish to disable autoplay since it consumes a lot of mobile data, wastes your battery, or clogs your phone memory.
This method will assist you in stopping videos from auto-playing on Instagram for any reason.
1. How to stop videos from auto-playing on the Instagram app
You’re probably out of luck if you want to entirely disable the automatic playback of videos on the official Instagram app. Although Instagram does not have a function like this, you can save data by turning on Data Saver in the app settings.
Although the writing beneath the Data Saver reads “When Data Saver is turned on, videos won’t load in advance to help you use fewer data,” the Data Saver option didn’t seem to stop videos from auto-playing on Instagram during our testing, but it did degrade video quality.
You can use the Data Saver option to conserve some data while the videos continue to play automatically. You can skip to the second solution in this post if you choose.
If you’re okay with the Data Saver option, you can enable it by following the steps below:
How to Turn on Data Saver on Instagram
- Launch the Instagram
- Choose your profile picture in the bottom-right corner.
- Pick Cellular Data Use
- Turn on Data Saver and ensure “High-Resolution Media” is set to Wifi only or.
Moreover, by default, turning on Data Saver mutes videos in the Instagram Feed. You can Mute or Unmute videos by tapping on them. As you go through the feed, Instagram will remember your previous activity.
2. How to Stop Videos from Auto-Playing on Instagram Completely Using a Browser
Try using Instagram on your web browser if the so-called “Data Saver” function doesn’t satisfy your demands because we found nothing useful there, as it still plays videos automatically.
Instagram offers a web app, just like Facebook and many other social networking apps, and it works just as well as the official mobile version. You don’t have to toggle or configure anything because the web app doesn’t auto-play videos by default.
The web app lacks several important Instagram features such as in-built camera features and Instagram Reels, which may deter you from ditching the Instagram app. However, if you want to utilize those functionalities, you can always use the ordinary Instagram app.
If you truly want to disable Instagram videos from auto-playing – perhaps to save mobile data – we recommend using the web app while you’re on a capped mobile data plan and the standard Instagram app when you’re connected to an unlimited Wi-Fi network. That can solve this problem.
In a nutshell, if you use the web app, you can disable videos from auto-playing on Instagram. Following these steps to do it:
How to Stop Videos From Auto-Playing On Instagram With The Web App
- On your phone, launch a web browser. (Chrome is preferred)
- To access the Instagram website, go to instagram.com.
- Open Instagram app and log in your account. You may also log in directly if you’re already logged in to Facebook on your browser.
- You ought to be able to go through your Instagram page without those videos automatically starting to play.
- You can manually play any video in the feed by pressing on it.
How to Install the Instagram Web App on Your Phone
Rather than opening the browser every time you want to stop videos from auto-playing on Instagram, you might want to install the Instagram Web app directly on your phone if you’re using Chrome for Android. On your phone, this will install an app. It won’t feel like you’re using Chrome if you launch it from your app drawer or home screen.
Following these steps to do it:
You’ll be prompted to install the web app after checking in to Instagram for the first time on Chrome. To install the app, press Add to Home Screen.
- If you miss the initial prompt, you can manually install the Instagram web app by following these steps:
- Press the 3-dot button in the top-right corner of the Instagram webpage in Chrome.
- From the side menu, choose Install app.
- Press it.
- The second Instagram app icon will appear in your drawer. You can open the web app at any moment by launching it.