With Android 8.0 Oreo, Google added a new PIP (Picture-in-Picture) mode that allowed users to watch YouTube videos in a small pop-up window when they closed the app.
Since then, the PiP mode has been accessible for the YouTube Android app, however, it is only available in the United States and to YouTube Premium users worldwide. Because this feature is not available to all smartphone users, we’ll show you how to enable YouTube PiP mode on any Android device.
How To Get Youtube PIP Mode on Any Phone
Table of Contents
- Enable YouTube PiP Mode on Any Phone
- YouTube Premium
- Using Google Chrome
- Using NewPipe App
- Using YouTube Vanced App
The first step is to obtain a YouTube premium membership in order to test and use this function. If you don’t want to pay for the premium, but still want to use this valuable premium feature from YouTube, there are numerous alternatives available!
If you have YouTube [premium], it will operate automatically on your app; if not, you can enable it in your app’s settings. Take the following steps:
1. Go to your phone’s YouTube app and open it.
2. Select Settings from the menu by tapping on your profile picture icon in the top right corner.
3. Now, go to General and look for Picture-in-Picture on the following page.
4. Scroll down until you see this, then click the toggle next to it to enable it.
That is all there is to it. When you close the app, your videos will now play in a little pop-up.
Using Google Chrome
After you close the app, you may use the Google Chrome browser to play your YouTube videos in a mini player. On Android, here’s how to enable and use YouTube PiP mode in Google Chrome:
1. On your phone, open the Google Chrome app.
2. Now go to the YouTube website, which will open the mobile page, but you’ll need the desktop site to use this feature.
3. Select Desktop site from the menu by tapping the three dots in the top right corner.
4. When the desktop site loads, choose a video to watch.
5. Now, switch to the Home screen or minimize the Chrome app after playing the movie on full screen.
That’s all there is to it; the video will continue to play in a little pop-up on your home screen.
Using NewPipe App
NewPipe is another program that allows users to watch YouTube videos in a pop-up window, similar to PiP mode. Because the app isn’t available on Google Play, you’ll need to download the APK to your phone. Let’s look at how to get the PIP mode running on your smartphone by installing and using the NewPipe app.
1. Get the NewPipe APK file from here.
2. Install and open the app like any other APK.
3. There are two tabs in the app when you first open it: Trending and Subscriptions. The search bar and the menu button are located above these tabs.
4. View a video using one of the two methods. The video website will provide you with additional settings not available in the YouTube app, such as Background and Popup.
5. The background button will play the video’s audio and keep it playing even if the program is minimized.
6. The Popup button, on the other hand, will start the video in a small pop-up window. When you tap it, the app will ask you if you want to accept “display above other apps” permission.
7. When you select this option, the app will begin playing a miniature pop-up version of the video.
That is all there is to it. You can then close the app or return to the Home screen, and the video will continue to play in the pop-up.
Using YouTube Vanced App
Another method to use this functionality on any Android phone is through the YouTube Vanced app. This is another YouTube modded version of the software that not only provides PiP mode but also adblocking without the need to install an adblocker.
The app supports PiP mode out of the box, so all you have to do is download and install the YouTube Vanced APK from this source. To log in using your Google account on Vanced, you’ll also need to download an additional MicroG app.
Then launch it and play whatever video you choose, then minimize the app and your video will continue to play.
In this video, we are gonna show you how to enable YouTube PIP Mode on any Android devices:
These were the steps for turning on and using YouTube PiP mode on any Android device. Tell us if you think you could use this on your phone in the comments. Stay tuned for more similar hints and tips!