In 2019, the most apps used dark mode than ever before. Almost every software company was working hard to add a “dark mode” to their apps. With system-wide dark themes on Android and iOS, it’s now easier than ever to go to the dark side. But if there is one app that didn’t follow the trend, it would have to be Snapchat. The photo-based messaging app that many people use to keep their Snap Streaks with friends going finally added a “dark mode” for iOS earlier this year. Support for Android is still coming soon. In this tutorial, we’ll go over the steps you need to take to enable Dark mode on Snapchat
How To Get Snapchat Dark Mode on iOS and Android (2022)
On iPhone, the Snapchat app has a built-in setting to turn on or off the dark theme. This setting is not available on Android. Many Android users have been wondering for a long time how to get Snapchat’s dark mode on their device. And, well, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve given you a clever way to get Snapchat’s dark theme to work on your Android phone. So, let’s get started without further ado.
Turn on Dark Mode in Snapchat on iPhone
1. Tap the Bitmoji icon in the top left corner to go to your Snapchat profile.
2. Press the Settings gear icon in the top right corner of your profile page.
3. Tap “Appearance” in the “My Account” settings to see the option to change Snapchat’s theme.
4. Select “Always dark” under “App Appearance” to turn on dark mode on Snapchat on your iPhone.
Enable Snapchat Dark Mode in Oppo, Vivo, or OnePlus Phones
On some Oppo, Vivo, and OnePlus phones, you can use the experimental per-app forced dark mode of ColorOS/FuntouchOS to turn on the dark mode for Snapchat. Note that you will need an OxygenOS build that is based on ColorOS for OnePlus phones.
1. Go to the Settings app, tap on “Display & brightness”. Now, select “Dark mode settings” to change your phone’s dark mode settings.
2. Tap “Dark mode for third-party apps (Beta)” and you’ll see a list of apps that work with forced dark mode.
3. Find Snapchat on the list of apps that can be used and turn on the switch. When Snapchat asks for confirmation, choose “Turn on” to turn on dark mode.
4. Now is the time to open Snapchat and enjoy the dark theme. This looks better than the system-wide dark mode that can be forced through Developer Options. If you’re curious, the screenshots below are from a OnePlus Nord 2 with OxygenOS 11 and the latest version of Snapchat, 220.127.116.11.
Get Snapchat Dark Mode on Any Android Phone
On Android, Snapchat doesn’t have a “dark mode” setting just yet. This section will be changed as soon as Snapchat says that its Android app will have a dark theme. Right now, the closest thing you can do is turn on “forced systemwide dark mode” in developer options. Even though it’s not perfect, it’s better than the current Android light mode that hurts your eyes. So, if you want to force Snapchat for Android to use dark mode, here’s how to do it:
1. Go to the Settings app and tap “About phone” from the menu. Now, scroll down until you see “Build number,” and tap it seven times. You have now put your Android device into developer mode.
2. To get to the Developer options, go back to the Settings home page and click on “System->Developer options.”
3. Here, turn on the “Force dark mode” switch, and your phone will now go into forced dark mode. In the future, you will see that Android will change the colors of apps that don’t have built-in support for dark mode.
Note: Unfortunately, forced dark mode doesn’t work with newer versions of Snapchat, and the Android app stays in light theme. So, you will have to get an older version of Snapchat from here and install it.
4. Download Snapchat version 10.72.0.0 on your device from this link.
5. As you can see in the picture below, the forced dark mode toggle in Snapchat for Android lets you turn on the dark theme on your own. The text can be read and is not hard to understand.
So, yeah, this is the only way to use dark mode in Snapchat right away on an Android device.
In this video, we are gonna show you how To get Dark Mode on Snapchat Android:
In 2022, Snapchat is one of the few popular social media apps that doesn’t support dark themes on Android. We hope that the company will get back on track next year, but we hope that this guide will give you a taste of the feature right now. If you want to use dark mode in other popular apps, check out our complete guide on how to do it everywhere.